1. Everything’s coming up sweet peas at Roger’s Gardens on Saturday, where horticulturist Steve Hampson will lead a discussion about sweet peas from 9 to 10 a.m. Hampson has been growing and trialing sweet pea varieties for a decade, and he’ll cover topics including seed sowing, soil preparation, insect and disease control and container growing. Roger’s Gardens also will host the Waffle-icious food truck on Saturday and Soho Tacos on Sunday. Roger’s Gardens is located at 2301 San Joaquin Hills Road.
2. Crystal Cove State Park will host a free, guided Family Hike at 9 a.m. Saturday; meet at the Moro Amphitheater in the day-use area.
3. This is the last weekend to check out the Cocoa Lounge in the Island Hotel at 690 Newport Center Drive. The Cocoa Lounge “is a unique dessert buffet and wine bar offering an assortment of sweet creations from our Pastry Shop served among decedent chocolate displays,” according the hotel’s website. The cost is $12 per person (plus tax and tip) with purchase of an entree, $18 per person for dessert only or $50 per person with your choice of two drinks (wine, Champagne or port) or a flight of three two-ounce tastings of wine, Champagne and port. The lounge is open every day from 6 to 10 p.m. through Feb. 17 in the Palm Terrace Private Dining Room at the hotel at 690 Newport Center Drive.
4. Check out the Corona del Mar Farmers Market at Bayside Drive and Marguerite Avenue from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday.
5. The Back Bay Science Center will host a free open house event at 10 a.m. Sunday at the facility located off Back Bay Drive on Shellmaker Island, near the Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort. You can learn about ongoing research, education and restoration projects, dip your fingers in the tidepool touch tank and tour the teaching lab and aquarium. No reservations are required; click here for more information.