1. Get your chocolate fix this weekend at Roger’s Gardens, where XAN Confections’ Jessica Wilburn will gift a truffle demo from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. At the same time, Chef Mila Payne will conduct a chocolate sauce demo and tasting of her sea salt and Kahlua sauces. Roger’s also will host Nectar Gardening to Attract Hummingbirds with Dalia Brunner from 9 to 10 a.m. Saturday, where horticulturist and garden designer Brunner will officer tips on plants to replace feeders and offer design ideas to attract hummingbirds and butterflies. The Lobsta Truck will be on hand Saturday, and the Sea Birds truck will be featured Sunday. Roger’s Gardens is located at 2301 San Joaquin Hills Road.
2. Speaking of chocolate — have you checked out the Cocoa Lounge in the Island Hotel at 690 Newport Center Drive? The Cocoa Lounge “is a unique dessert buffet and wine bar offering an assortment of sweet creations from our Pastry Shop served among decedent chocolate displays,” according the hotel’s website. The cost is $12 per person (plus tax and tip) with purchase of an entree, $18 per person for dessert only or $50 per person with your choice of two drinks (wine, Champagne or port) or a flight of three two-ounce tastings of wine, Champagne and port. The lounge is open every day from 6 to 10 p.m. through Feb. 17 in the Palm Terrace Private Dining Room at the hotel at 690 Newport Center Drive.
3. The Central Library will host a Sunday Musicale with Charged Particles at 3 p.m. Sunday in the Friends Room. The free concert features the jazz trio “known for crossing stylistic boundaries and sparking an electrifying new sound with their high-energy, elaborately-orchestrated original jazz, infused with elements of funk, Afro-Cuban rhythms and classical music,” according to a news release.
The trio includes Murray Low on keyboard, electric bassist Jason Muscat and drummer Jon Krosnick. Seating is limited and available on a first-come, first served basis. The concert is funded by Friends of the Library. For more information, call (949) 717-3800, option 2. The library is located at 1000 Avocado Ave.
4. Crystal Cove State Park will host two tidepool walks this weekend, at 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Meet at the Pelican Point lot #2 at the top of the boardwalk. There also will be a tour of the Historic District at 10 a.m. Saturday; meet at bluff-top deck near the cottage rental office.
5. Valentine’s Day is Thursday — take a walk through Corona del Mar and find something nice for your sweetie. You could support our local advertisers — Mark Patterson, Pedego, B. Candy, Corona del Mar Florist, the Bungalow, Jabulani Yoga, Charming Cards — for gift and gift card ideas.