1. The 16th annual tree-lighting ceremony will be held Saturday on the beach at Crystal Cove State Park, with parking fees waived after 3 p.m., carolers, a holiday boutique, hot beverages provided by the Beachcomber Cafe and Santa Claus. The free event begins at 3 p.m. Saturday, with Santa arriving at 4 and the tree-lighting shortly after sunset, or around 5:30 p.m. The Crystal Cove Alliance is hosting the event, and the entire historic district of the park will be decorated to reflect the time period between 1935 and 1955, organizers said. The Holiday Bazaar will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday and will benefit restoration, education and conservation efforts in the park. At the bazaar, you also can learn you to wire-wrap sea glass you find on the beach to make jewelry and ornaments that you can take home at no charge. Park in the Los Trancos lot. There is a $15 day-use fee except for after 3 p.m. Saturday when it’s waived. A shuttle service to the historic area is available for $1 each way.
2. The Corona del Mar library branch will host a Holiday Open House during the village Christmas Walk from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. The event will include refreshments, crafts and entertainment including Bubblemania and is aimed at families and children of all ages. The library is located at 420 Marigold Ave. From 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday, the Central Library will host A Celtic Christmas, an all-age program that includes songs, stories and holiday traditions from the British Isles. The event will be held in the Friends Room of the library at 1000 Avocado Ave.
3. Roger’s Gardens is hosting several holiday events this weekend, including a Celebration of Winter Holiday Decorating Seminar led by Eric Cortina, Roger’s Gardens creative director, from 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday. Cortina will discuss how to use natural elements from your garden to design wreaths, garlands and embellished topiaries for the holidays. From noon to 3 p.m. Saturday, there will be a Byers’ Choice Signing with Bob Byers, Jr. and Kristina Kase. From 9 to 11 a.m. Sunday, horticulturist Steve Hampson will lead My Edible Garden in December. The discussion will focus on planting cool-season crops such as potatoes, garlic and onions, as well as disease control strategies for dormant fruit trees and winter pruning. From noon to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Santa will be in the Disneyland bandstand gazebo to meet children and pose for photos. Food trucks also will return, with the Bite Me Foods truck on hand Saturday and Sea Birds on Sunday. Roger’s Gardens is located at 2301 San Joaquin Hills Road.
4. The Newport Bay Conservancy announced a Back Bay Drive Nature Walk at 9 a.m. Saturday, where a naturalists will lead a two-hour walk that will focus on birds and plants.The walk is free, but organizers ask you to call (949) 923-2269 to R.S.V.P. Also, they urge participants to bring sun protection and binoculars. Participants should meet on Shellmaker Island.
5. The 34th Annual Corona del Mar Christmas Walk will take place throughout the village from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. Local businesses will offer holiday specials and holiday cheer, there will be a beer and wine garden, live music including the Pinch Me! band throughout town, Santa Claus, a petting zoo, bounce houses and more. Click here to read our earlier story.