1. The Bicycle Safety Committee met Monday in front of a standing-room only crowd, listening to pleas for immediate safety improvements in the wake of two cyclists’ deaths in two days last week. Meanwhile, a man was charged with the hit-and-run death of cyclist Catherine Campion-Ritz. Read our stories here, here, here and here.
2. Whole Foods Market opened on Wednesday at Fashion Island; read our story here.
3. The Newport Beach City Council on Tuesday will discuss whether to pursue a requirement that military flyover tributes require advance notification after residents were startled by a March flyover memorial; read our story here.
4. Installation of a dedicated left-turn signal at Marguerite and East Coast Highway has been delayed until early 2013, city officials said; read our story here.
5. Olympic silver medalists April Ross and Jennifer Kessy, who work out at Big Corona State Beach and at CDM Fitness, greeted fans, posed for photos and signed autographs at the East Coast Highway health club this week; read our story here.