The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation’s Race for the Cure will take place at Fashion Island on Sunday, creating temporary road closures in the area from 4:30 a.m. until about 2 p.m.
Newport Beach Police issued an alert announcing the following closures:
* Newport Center Drive – closed in both directions except between Santa Rosa and San Miguel drives.
* Santa Cruz Drive (from Newport Center Drive to San Joaquin Hills)
* San Clemente Drive (from Santa Cruz to Santa Maria drives)
* Santa Maria Drive (from San Clemente to Newport Center drives)
* Farallon Drive (from Newport Center Drive to Avocado Avenue)
* Avocado Avenue (from San Miguel Drive to Corona Del Mar Plaza entrance)
* San Miguel Drive (from Avocado Avenue to Newport Center Drive)
* Anacapa Drive (from Newport Center to Farallon drives)
Police also suggested that those attending the event find free offsite parking with shuttle service that will be available between 6 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. Parking will be available at the following locations:
* University Research Park – 5201 – 5251 California Ave., Irvine
* Corona del Mar High School – 2101 Eastbluff Drive, Newport Beach
* Corporate Plaza Parking Lots – East Coast Highway and Newport Center Drive
Police expect more than 22,000 people to attend the event, which raised $3 million last year.