1. The City of Newport Beach has submitted a 139-page response to the Coastal Commission, answering questions and supplying information about beach fire rings and why the city wants them removed; read our story here.
2. The search for a new principal for Harbor View Elementary School is underway, and families, teachers and other members of the community met this week to tell what they hoped to see in the new school leader; read our story here.
3. For the third time this summer in Corona del Mar, mystery noises that sounded like gunshots or firecrackers prompted calls to police this week; read our story here.
4. Repairs are complete and ocean water near Balboa Island is once again safe for swimming following two sewage leaks that occurred when dredgers damaged a sewer line near the Balboa Yacht Club; read our stories here, here and here.
5. A burglar stole two paintings valued at $125,000 this week from an Irvine Terrace home; read our story here.