1. Boo! Summer may be in full swing, but Halloween is creeping up on us, and you can prepare by visiting the Party All the Time! Halloween Boutique opening from 5 to 8 p.m. tonight. There will be a free gift with purchase while supplies last, and holiday-themed gifts and home decorations for sale. The shop is located at 2747 East Coast Highway.
2. Pedego Electric Bikes in Corona del Mar will hold a grand opening celebration from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, with shop tours, a group bike ride and refreshments. Owner Bill Coleman of Corona del Mar will donate 10 percent of profits from weekend bike sales to Second Harvest Food Bank of Orange County, and anyone who buys an electric bike during the weekend (or Pedego owners who participate in the group ride) will get a free Pedego watch. The shop is located at 2515 East Coast Highway. For more information, call (949) 612-7989 or click here.
3. The Don Burns Swim will take place at 10 a.m. Saturday with more than 100 swimmers racing to a buoy 300 yards offshore, to Little Corona and back again to Tower #3. The race is in memory of Don Burns, a beloved Newport Beach lifeguard, instructor and cadet coordinator from 1956 until 1993.
4. Rothschild’s Restaurant will host an art exhibition and sale from 3 to 5 p.m. Sunday featuring award winning artist Niles Nordquist. Complimentary refreshments will be served, and several of Nordquist’s works will be displayed. Organizers ask you to call (949) 673-3750 to RSVP. Rothschild’s is located at 2407 East Coast Highway.
5. Roger’s Gardens will host tomato expert Steve Goto from 9 to 10 a.m. Saturday. Goto will conduct a tasting of 30 varieties of heirloom and hybrid tomatoes and discuss new varieties to plant. He’ll also help diagnose tomato plant problems, and attendees are welcome to bring their own tomatoes to share (make sure to tag them). From 2 to 3 p.m. Saturday, Roger’s will host “Italian Cooking Seminar with Chef Mila.” Chef Mila will demonstrate preparing a Mediterranean salad with pomegranate dressing, grilled eggplant parmesan and ricotta torta with caramel brandy sauce — and guests will get a chance to taste everything. Roger’s Gardens also will host the Lobsta Truck on Saturday and the SoHo Tacos food truck on Sunday. Roger’s Gardens is located at 2301 San Joaquin Hills Road.