1. After being open for just a few days, the New Port Theater cafe was closed by city officials for serving concessions while no movie was playing — a use permit violation — after a resident complained; read our story here.
2. The new owner of the former John Blom photography studio on East Coast Highway painted over the building’s mural as part of a renovation that could bring a high-end dessert business to town as one of two new tenants; read our story here.
3. Newport Beach officials were preparing to submit a Coastal Commission application this week, seeking to remove all beach fire rings; read our story here.
4. The Vin Goat cheese shop has applied for a license to sell wine and conduct evening wine tastings; read our story here.
5. A Newport Beach City Council member this week told the Corona del Mar Residents Association board members that the new Civic Center project could be complete in time to hold the December Council meeting there; read our story here.