1. Saturday is California’s Official Lawn Bowls Day, and the Newport Harbor Lawn Bowling Club is celebrating with an open house from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 1550 Crown Drive. If you’ve always wondered about lawn bowling, here’s your chance to find out more about the sport and the Corona del Mar club. (And you never know…Charlie Herbert joined at the 2007 Open House and now is a member of Team USA, event organizers said.) Families as well as groups and individuals are invited, but you must wear flat shoes. For more information call (949) 640-1022 or check out the group’s Facebook page. If you can’t make Saturday’s Open House, the club has Tuesday guest leagues, with the gates opening at 5:30 p.m.
2. Sherman Library & Gardens is hosting its 16th Annual Private Gardens Tour from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Tickets for the tour cost $40 for members and $45 for non members and can be purchased online. An optional shuttle ticket is available for $40. The tour will include six “delightfully unique gardens” in Shady Canyon, Cameo Shores and other Corona del Mar locations. Flat shoes are encouraged. Sherman Library is located at 2647 East Coast Highway; for more information call (949) 673-2261.
3. Roger’s Gardens is hosting its 17th Annual Amateur Rose Show from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Bring your rose entries between 9 and 11 a.m., and judging will begin at 11 with winners announced at noon. Rosarians and staff members will be available to assist, according to Roger’s Gardens’ website. “It’s easy, just cut a few of your favorite and best roses from your garden and bring them into the store, we will provide the vases and do the rest of the work,” the website states. “If you know the name of the rose, bring that as well.” Entries will be divided into four categories: hybrid tea or grandifloras, floribundas and polyanthus, English roses, shrub roses and old garden roses and miniature roses. You can enter as many roses as you want, but only one of each variety. First, second and third place winners will share more than $1,000 in prizes. Roger’s Gardens is located at 2301 San Joaquin Hills Road. Also this weekend, Roger’s Gardens will host the Piaggio food truck from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
4. The Orange County Museum of Art is hosting a Visionaries Free Second Sunday this weekend from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. This weekend, the theme will be a Mother’s Day Celebration including live entertainment by the Endeavor Dance Troop and creative gift-making opportunities, according to the museum website. Hands-on art projects for mom, like Mother’s Day flowers, poetry boxes and paper collages, will be featured throughout the day, with storybook reading at 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Gallery tours also will be available. For more information, click here. The museum is located at 850 San Clemente Drive; call (949) 759-1122 for more information.
5. Head to the Corona del Mar library branch Saturday for an all day crafts event. No registration is needed for the free event, which will take place at the branch at 420 Marigold Ave. The library will be open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.