An aide for U.S. Rep. John Campbell has sent a letter to the Navy, forwarding a request from Newport Beach’s city manager to have advance notice for future military memorial flyover tributes.
“I would appreciate your thorough review of this matter,” wrote Chris Palmer, deputy district director for the congressman, in an April 23 letter.
So far, the U.S. Navy has not replied, said Christopher J. Bognanno, Campbell’s communications director and legislative assistant.
The letter sent to Capt. John McClain, director of the House Liaison Office for the Department of the Navy, included a copy of a letter from Newport Beach City Manager Dave Kiff.
Kiff’s letter to Campbell on April 10 came after a military flyover tribute startled many residents in Corona del Mar, including Mayor Nancy Gardner. The flyover was part of a memorial service for John Francis (Jack) Callahan, a Costa Mesa man who was a war hero who died in February at age 94.
“There’s no questions this was a fitting tribute to a decorated, naval aviator…” Kiff’s letter said. “Our goal is to respectfully request advanced notice if and when a ceremonial flyover is planned.”
“This is a good request, it makes sense,” Bognanno said. “They’re pretty good about updating cities they are going to fly over. We want to make sure every city has a full and open line of communication. They are loud jets.”
The March 24 flyover occurred at 6 p.m. when four F- 18s from the Miramar Naval Air Station flew from the south in formation until one peeled away in a missing-man tribute. The jets were followed by two World War II T-6s that circled several times.