1. Celebrate the International Day of Peace at the Center For Living Peace near UC-Irvine, where peaceful events will be free all day. Join 3 million people around the world making “Pinwheels for Peace,” or participate in drumming and dance circles, meditation sessions, yoga and more. The Center for Living Peace is located in the University Center at 4139 Campus Drive. Click here for a complete schedule, or call (949) 854-5500 for more information.
2. Saturday is California Coastal Cleanup Day, and more than 60 sites throughout Orange County will be cleaned from 9 a.m. to noon. If you want to volunteer, click here for a complete list of locations and signup information. Or head to Crystal Cove State Park from 9 to noon Saturday, where volunteers will clean the park’s 3.5 miles of coastline. Meet at Pelican Point lot #3 or Reef Point. Parking fees will be waived for volunteers entering the park between 8:30 and 11:30 a.m. For more information call (949) 497-7647.
3. Roger’s Gardens will host “Fall Planting and Garden Planning with Cristin Fusano” from 9 to 10:30 a.m. Saturday. “This seminar will focus on fall planting and garden planning,” Roger’s website states. “Everything you need to know about planting for Fall through early Spring will be presented in this class. Learn what to plant and when to plant it!” Roger’s Gardens is located at 2301 San Joaquin Hills Road.
4. Newport Beach Mayor Mike Henn will host a Meet the Mayor event from 9 to 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Fire Station #7 in Santa Ana Heights. Henn will provide a brief overview of current city issues, answer audience questions and have time for one-on-one conversations with citizens. Refreshments will be served. The station is located at 20401 Acacia St. at the corner of Acacia and Birch.
5. A Fine Affair is hosting an End of Summer Sidewalk Sale, with 50 percent off select items; a Fall and Halloween Preview featuring hot cider and seasonal decorations;and a Rachele Ashcraft Trunk Show featuring new creations and 20 percent discounts. The events will take place from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. A Fine Affair, Inc. is located at 2919 East Coast Highway.