The gas leak was reported about 3:15 p.m. in the 800 block of South Bayfront, said Newport Beach Fire Department spokeswoman Jennifer Schulz in a statement. Firefighters evacuated about 15 people from residences on South Bayfront Sapphire Avenue, which is adjacent and was downwind of the gas leak, she said.
The leak was caused by a construction crew that had been cutting concrete with a concrete saw when they hit the natural gas line. Firefighters on the scene called for gas company crews to make repairs, and firefighters remained on scene until the repairs began at 6 p.m. The gas line was closed until repairs were made about 8:30 p.m.
Photo courtesy of the Newport Beach Fire Department.